Saturday, June 15, 2013

We Are Still Here!

Hi, y'all. Sorry I've been MIA. Truth be told, things got a little dark around here for awhile, and I was tired of writing posts that made it sound like I was competing for Worst Week Ever. I think "everything that possibly could go wrong, especially horse-related, did" about sums it up.

Leaving aside horribly naughty school ponies and disappointing humans, Lex had a very bad weekend last week. She stopped drinking, stopped eating, stopped caring about life. Atropin, the medication that dilates her pupil, can cause colic. So can coastal hay, which she gets in the field at night. She never actually colicked, but I had to spend pretty much the entire weekend in her stall getting her to drink a slurry of Gatorade and alfalfa cubes. It worked - she didn't colic, and the vet didn't have to pass a tube through her nose, and she came out of it. She's not only didn't colic, but...

HER EYE IS COMPLETELY HEALED!!!!!

The vet gave her a clean bill of health. Now we just have to wait for her pupil to respond to light normally and then we can take off the Mad Max Mask and go back to riding.

I wound up in a pretty awful spot of depression, which has been known to happen, but now that Lex is better - and she isn't going to be blind or lose her eye - I feel ten million times better. Aren't horses supposed to be our stress relief?

And in other fun news, Rocket is two months old today! Mom sent me a bunch of pictures of her, and here is a video of her being adorable:


And now for a photo dump. I know that the defining characteristic of Rocket is that she is HUGE, and she is - and growing incredibly fast - but she's also beautiful and sweet and laid-back and smart. I think she's going to be great when she's all grown up. I've never wanted a drafty type horse, but I love this one!

A nose! A tufty forelock! Hearts.

She's finally losing her foal fuzz! Mom tells me there's black hair under there.

Uh oh. Feathers.

Her butt is juuuuust higher than the fence.

So pretty!
I love how squiggly her star is.

Duchess is loving being at the riding school, and she's doing great. Everyone loves her, and she gets tons of attention. I'll try to get pictures soon.

I'm starting to feel like a normal person again. The world hasn't ended. My girls are all in good shape. Deep breaths.

7 comments:

  1. :) Glad things are looking up. Hard to believe how fast lil Ms Rocket it growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news that her eye is better!! Focus on the positives. Sounds like you will be back riding her before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad things turned around! I tagged you for the Liebster Blog award and questionnaire :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! I'll get on that for tomorrow's post. :)

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear that things took a turn for the worst with Lex, but delighted to hear that she has pulled thruogh and is well on the road to recovery.
    Rocket is just awesome!

    ReplyDelete