Thursday, June 6, 2013

60 Equestrian Questions

Because why not? We're in the middle of Tropical Storm Andrea and I'm low on horse news, finally. Lex seemed better today, although she broke her halter, the silly girl. She also insisted on standing around with her head out the window, getting soaked. Ah, well. The vet said it's okay and won't hurt her eye.

Without further ado, here are the questions from Eventing in Color.

1. dish face or roman nose? why?
Who cares? You can't ride the face!

2. mares or geldings? why?
MARES. I mean, I've had some geldings I love, and I would own a gelding again, but I am a mare person all the way. I feel like my mares have tried harder for me. Plus I own the SuperMare and the WonderFilly now!

3. Do you think warmbloods are over-rated?
Well, that's not how I'd put it. I had a warmblood I loved and I'd have another one. Wait, do I have one? Is Rocket the Mutt technically a warmblood? But I really love OTTBs and I think they're under-rated. I'd love to see US equestrian get back to its roots.

4. Describe your dream horse.
Sweet, brilliant, excellent scope, a will to win, good mover, sound. I think I might have my dream horse now - we'll see! :)

5. What kind of bit do you use and why?
Right now, Lex is going in a loose ring French link, because it's my favorite for starting OTTBs in their retraining. It's kind and communicative. I've used all kinds of bits, though. I think educated hands are more important than the bit itself, though the wrong bit can create problems. Rocket, obviously, is too young for a bit. I'll probably start her in a loose ring, too, though I doubt Lex's will fit her.

6. Stock horses or sport horses?
Sport horses, but that's mostly because of the discipline I'm in. Stock horses are great, too.

7. Favorite horse color?
Oh, who can pick just one? A beautiful, healthy, shiny horse is always a sight to see.

8. Least favorite horse color?
I guess I wouldn't want to own a grey or a cremollo because of the cleaning/sunburn/cancer issues. That doesn't mean I don't think they're beautiful, though.

9. Dressage or Jumping?
JUMPING omg.

10. Favorite stock horse breed?
Who doesn't love a good old quarter horse?

11. Favorite Hot-blooded breed?
Thoroughbreds, duh.

12. Favorite cold-blooded breed?
I have a soft spot for Percherons.

13. Dapple grey or Fleabitten grey?
Dapple, but they turn fleabitten a lot of the time, so...

14. Most expensive piece of tack you own?
Well, my saddle is the thing I can least afford to replace, though I'm not sure what its market value is now. I love it though, it's a 16 year old Crosby Prix de Nations.

15. When did you start riding?
When I was four I started taking lessons. Mom had me on a horse about as soon as I could hold myself in a sitting position, I think. Thanks, Mom!

16. Leather or Nylon halters?
Leather. Always, always leather.

17. Apples or Carrots?
For me or the horse? I'd prefer apples, Lex wants carrots.


18. Chestnut or bay?
Nope. Not taking sides.

19. Palomino or Buckskin?
See above.

20. Lazy horse or Hot horse?
Hot! I hatehatehate kicking!

21. Have you ever been trail riding?
Many, many times, though not on Lex yet.

22. Have you ever had to put down a horse that you loved?
Too many.

23. How many saddlepads do you have?
I'm a saddle pad junkie. I probably have 10 at least.

24. How many bridles do you have?
Ummmm... 3? Plus some spare parts? But at the moment I'm only using one of them. I have a white leather horse-sized bridle with a flash for sale if anyone wants it.

25. Favorite saddle brand?
I haven't tried that many different brands. I love my Crosby though.

26. Beige or White Breeches?
Beige. Does anyone like white breeches?



27. Least favorite discipline?
That I've ridden in or that exists? When I was a kid in 4H I did a bunch of Western stuff that just wasn't really my thing. But as far as disciplines that exist, I don't like anything that's mean to the horses. That can happen in any discipline. I guess I'd be least interested in trying driving but I don't think it's cruel. Just not my thing.

28. Do you own a horse?
Yup! Two, and they're the best girls ever.

29. Do you collect breyer horses?
Not since I was a kid, though I have a pretty big collection at my mom's house still. I do have an Afleet Alex Breyer horse though, because he's Lex's daddy.

30. Favorite color of saddle pad?
Oh jeez, whatever is clean, right? I always appreciate a sparkling white pad. Lex looks good in colors without a lot of red in them. My colors are navy, grey, and white, so I'll take any saddle pad in any combination of those colors.

31.Private barn or Boarding stable?
I'm at a boarding stable right now, but mostly have had my horses at private barns. It's a tossup. Private barns means you can never go on vacation, boarding means you have to live under someone else's rules. Private means you can take care of everything just as you like, boarding means there are people around more often - which, in itself, can be a good thing or a bad thing!

32. Opinion on spoiled riders?
Whatevs. I just don't like giving them lessons.

33. Have you ever ridden tackless?
Oh, sure, as a kid. Pickles, the best pony ever, was my mount of choice for tackless riding. He was awesome.

34. Have you ever stood up on a horse?
No, and I must confess that I don't understand why this is some peoples' goal, but to each their own!

35. Overo, Tobiano, or Tovero?
Again, I am Sweden when it comes to horse colors.

36. Favorite face markings(s)?
I don't think I've ever seen a face marking I didn't like. I'm a fan of Duchess's beautiful blaze though. And there's an adorable foal at the lesson barn named Ichabod who wears his first initial on his face with a star and a strip.

37. Why you started riding?
You know, I don't know. It's all I've ever wanted, since before I was conscious of it.

38. Does anyone in your family ride?
My mom does, which is such a great thing, because she has definitely always supported me in my riding and horse obsession.

39. Have you ever owned a horse?
Many! I have Lex and Rocket now. Before them there was Faust, Flo, Ink, and Pickles, who were all mine. My family also had/has Tucker, Oliver, Grayson, Billy, TJ, Somara. I'm a lucky kid.


40. Something you want to improve on?
Right now I really want to get my eye for jumps and distances back.

41. A bad habit you have?
Turning my head too much to the inside - if I can fix this, it'll help with #40.

42. A bad habit your horse has?
Getting injured!

43. How high have you jumped?
4'6" when I worked at the h/j farm. Loved it. Gotta get back up there!

44. Have you ever had a dressage lesson?
Zillions. Recently, even.

45. What really makes your horse spook?
Lex hasn't spooked at anything yet. Not sure Rocket has, either. They're two level-headed horses, although I'm sure we'll encounter some kind of dragon eventually.

46. Trail riding or ring work?
Ring work. I'm kind of a workaholic.

47. Indoor or Outdoor arena?
Outdoor, though indoors have their place. I haven't ridden in one in awhile because no one in Florida has one.

48. Colorful or plain saddle pads?
For home or shows? At shows, I like plain. At home, though, have fun.

49. Do you like horses with blue eyes?
Sure!

50. Have you ever gotten into a fight with your trainer?
Not my current trainer. I can't remember if I've gotten in a fight with a previous one. If I did, it was probably because I was an anxious teenager and cried pretty easily and I had a couple trainers who were frustrated by that.

51. Light bay or Dark bay horses?
Gawd, stop trying to make me choose sides!

52. What is your equestrian dream?
I want to ride in a Grand Prix. Don't tell my mom.

53. Long mane or Pulled mane?
Pulled.


54. Opinion on fake tails?
I mean, it's whatever. I understand that they make the horse look more balanced, and Lex has the thinnest tail evar. I guess if someone gave or loaned me one to use at a show, and we were going to be in the hunter ring, I'd try it. I can't afford stuff like that, and I'm wary of the rabbit hole of buying just this one more thing that will really polish the look etc. I'm not made of money.

55. Least favorite thing about your barn?
Well, I'm brand new to the barn so we're still in a honeymoon stage. I guess I'd say I don't love the hay they feed - it's coastal hay, and I wish we had orchard grass or timothy instead.

56. Favorite thing about your barn?
At the moment, it's the lovely people who work there.

57. Have you ever ridden a stallion?
Yup! I showed an OTTB stallion named Marty on the HITS circuit. He was awesome, won everything and never gave me a moment's trouble. I think his owner only gelded him a few years ago.

58. socks or no socks on a horse?
I think socks are pretty, but I live in a climate where horses with white legs get scratches and take a lot of maintenance, so I could go either way.

59. Favorite horse names?
I like my girls' names (Afleet Alexia and Gravity's Rainbow). Faust was Comic Relief, which suited him to a T. There are more good horse names out there than I could possibly list, but in my mind, this is the definitive guide to naming a horse.

60. If you could ride any horse in the world, which one would it be? why?
I would ride Touch of Class, because she was a tiny, hot, OTTB mare who won Olympic gold. Blogger is being stupid about putting in videos, but you can see her brilliance here - she's the second horse.


No comments:

Post a Comment