Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Is This the Apocalypse?

That's a semi-serious question. At 6:30 this morning, when I was taking the dogs out, we got attacked by a bird. Just a regular bird. I don't know, y'all. I think I should have taken that as a sign to get back in bed and catch up on Mad Men. Then I came back in and found that one of my stupid cats had pulled one of my half-chaps off the rack and peed on it.

Lex was a good girl this morning. I did end up giving her a bath, because she was so sticky and gross that all the flies and gnats were swarming all over her. Despite her mild protests over the water touching her precious hide, I think she felt better when it was over, if the huge sigh was any indication. She just stood in front of her fan and let it cool her off. It certainly made me feel good, at any rate. Spending time with her this morning was, without question, the highlight of my day.

In the afternoon when I was giving lessons, the skies opened up in a classic Florida deluge. The students wanted to keep riding, which is fine, but about 30 minutes later the thunder and lightning rolled in, so they had to get off the ponies and head for cover. By that time, though, I was soaked to the bone. My fingers were pruny like they are when you stay in the bath too long. Then I had to hop immediately in the car and drive over to Lex's farm to put the goo in her eye and give her banamine. I figured the banamine was probably the most important thing, because (thanks to the WONDERFUL girl who works there on Tuesdays) she'd had the goo three times already. But I couldn't handle the idea of her being in pain all night just because I was soaked and it was raining.

I'm glad I went, but the roads were treacherous for my little car. My hands were shaking by the time I got to the barn, which was empty of humans. I gave Lex her medicines, checked her water buckets, gave her a good hug, and skedaddled. I had to get back out before the roads flooded beyond my car's capacity to travel. PS: I need a truck. I left her in for the night, because the thunderstorms were horrendous and she looked so happy, warm, and dry in her stall (and clean!). I'll just try to fit in a good long handwalk tomorrow and maybe she can get some time in one of the paddocks that's empty during the day. If not, it won't be the first or last time she's had to hang out in a stall this long. She WAS a racehorse, after all, and I figured it might not be good for her eye to be in a deluge - one which is ongoing, by the way. I just hope the roads are dried out enough by morning that I can make it back out again. But, you know, hell or high water. The vet's coming out tomorrow so maybe she'll tell me we can downshift the treatments.

In happier news, Mom sent me two new Rocket pictures!

This is Rocket and Ink, my 31-year-old QH cross. I love this shot.

He's old enough to be her great-great-great-great-great grandpa!

She has grown SO MUCH. I love that amazing curly mane. I'm glad my mom is enjoying her and/but I can't wait for her to be old enough and for me to have enough money that I can have her around all the time.


  1. She's gonna be a bug girl! Attacked by a bird? That would freak me out.

  2. Love Rocket - can't wait to see more pics of her too! :)
    Hope all goes well with the vet for Lex & that the rain goes away and you've a drier day today.