Friday, November 8, 2013

Sunshine Award

Thanks again to L. Williams for the Sunshine Award tag!


  1. Mares or Geldings?: Mares, my current issues with Lex aside. I don't think it's related to her being a mare. I've ridden enough geldings to know that they're not always happy sunshine and rainbows either. I can't really tell you why I have this slight mare preference, but there 'tis. At the end of the day, though, I like a horse who leaves the rails up the best.
  2. English or Western?: English, always. Sorry not sorry.
  3. Do you prefer younger or older horses?: Both! I love young horses because I love green horses, and I really enjoy the training process. I hope to always have a young horse to work with. I also love old horses because they're often over the young-horse drama, they can be more predictable, and they can be great for teaching on. Mileage varies, of course. I LOVE LOVE LOVE really old horses, the retirees. It's satisfying to give a generous horse a great retirement, like my mom is doing for my old guy, Ink, who is almost THIRTY THREE. 
  4. Have you trained a horse from ground zero?: Yup! And will be doing so again with Ms. Rocket. But my real love is retraining OTTBs.
  5. Do you prefer riding or groundwork?: Depends. Good groundwork often makes for a better ride. There is nothing in the world I love more than jumping, even on days when things aren't going well. But seeing a horse's ground manners and handleability improve is incredibly rewarding, especially in a boarding situation where other people also have to deal with the horse. No one wants the naughty horse in the barn that everyone hates dealing with, right?
  6. Do you board your horse or keep it at home?: I've done both, but right now I'm boarding. Lex lives at a cute little boarding barn, it's low-key and safe. Rocket and Ink live with my mom, but since I don't live there I don't keep them home, I guess. Duchess lives at the riding school, which is definitely not at home but isn't really boarding either. 
  7. Do you use all natural products or commercial?: Whatever works, but "natural" products rarely do and often cost a lot more money. I don't use a lot of products anyway, to be honest. A curry comb and a good diet is the best way to keep a horse looking sparkly. Fly spray is about it, and I don't even use as much of that as a lot of people do for whatever reason.
  8. All tacked up or bareback?: Tacked up. I like goofing off sometimes, but mostly I'm down to business when I ride. I don't have any horses I can ride bareback right now anyway.
  9. Equestrian model?: I'm assuming this means role model! I really look up to my trainer, Chris. My friend Dorrie is this remarkable adult amateur who could ride circles around me and always has nice, happy horses. I used to work with an eventing trainer named Mary Schwenkter, who I love and admire deeply as a horsewoman. As far as famous people: Vladimir Littauer, Bill Steinkrauss, Frank Chapot, Bert de Nemethy. You know, the old school blokes. Sinead Halpin seems like a classy lady.
  10. What's your one main goal while being in the horse world?:  I don't have one main goal. "Being the best rider I can possibly be while centralizing the welfare of my horses" comes close enough, I guess, but isn't that what pretty much everyone says? I want to be a very good jumper rider, if I'll never achieve greatness, and I'd love to do that with thoroughbreds, who are my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. Yay, 10 is a great goal! I think everyone should have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to the blog, so it's nice to read a little bit about you!

    ReplyDelete